My Music and Social Media Journey| StartSomethingPriceless

Hello all! I'm Kelsie and these are my thoughts.

So, this post is going to be a little bit different. I was watching a video about Mastercard's StartSomethingPriceless movement and it got me thinking about my journey into both music and social media. Now first, some background.

I've been a music lover since 2004, when I first heard Ryan Cabrera's On The Way Down on Music Choice's Hit List. 14 years later, I still love music. While I first started out listening to pretty much nothing but pop, I eventually opened my mind to other different genres such as Rock, Hip-Hop, R&B, Metal and so much more. Even though I still can't get into genres like Opera and Gospel, I can at least give it a fair chance.

Once I got my first computer in 2008, I found a world of other people who also loved music as well but I also discovered another world: the world of social media. My first social network was Facebook and until I joined Twitter a year later, it would be my primary social site. Sadly, as I was struggling in school at the time, I was limited as far as how much internet time I had. But once my grades got better, the limit was revoked and I had free reign once again. Also in 2009, I found a little site called YouTube. I would watch videos from Michelle Phan, Ray William Johnson, WheezyWaiter, the vlogbrothers and many more for hours. How I managed to keep up my grades I will never know.

Now nine years later, I still use social media and YouTube quite frequently. I have discovered so many wonderful content creators and have seen quite a few scandals over the years such as the Sam Pepper and Paul Brothers debacles and the adpocalypse. Despite not making YouTube videos full time (and the few videos I do have not being monetized by choice), I still feel for everyone who was affected by it. A few creators have even begun migrating to other avenues like Twitch and Patreon to make money. While I don't feel like I have the resources or the attention span to make YouTube a full time (or even part time) job at this point, blogging is something I feel much more comfortable with.

Anyway, that's all! Thanks for reading! More thoughts coming soon.

Comments

Popular Posts